Al died in June, 2010, and the business is now being run by Al’s children, Lars, Rolf and Annika. It is now On Deck Clothing, owned by Mitch Larson. This tour is slightly shorter than our other tours at a great price point. Average seasonal temperatures Spring: March 38/22 F˚, April 52/33 F˚, May 65/42 F˚ Summer: June 74/51 F˚, July 80/58 F˚, August 77/57 F˚ Always bring pants and a warm wind … continue reading → Sister Bay, WI Weather History star_ratehome. Around 1900, Ole Erickson’s Store opened on land just north of today’s village hall. Thanks to the committed support of our membership, the SBHS is recognizing its 25th Anniversary this year. the place to be! Sister Bay Historical Society, Sister Bay, Wisconsin. In 1960, it was sold to Grace and Richard Wilke who turned it into Wilke Furniture–and also sold the first television set. From old, hot rods to modern-day vehicles, you can trust our knowledgeable mechanics to get the repair job … Sister Bay Historical Society; Old Anderson House and Corner of the Past Museum happenings and notices. We look forward to your membership renewal — your annual donation this year is especially … These evidently had quite an influence on the persons in the village wanting to become incorporated. Corner of the Past Museum: Interesting out of the way museum on the history of Sister Bay WI - See 17 traveler reviews, 22 candid photos, and great deals for Sister Bay, WI, at Tripadvisor. The restoration of donated historic buildings at “Corner of the Past” — located at the intersection of Highway 57 and Fieldcrest Road on the south end of Sister Bay — is the Society’s … The implement warehouse of the J. C. Dana Co. was saved because of its being covered with iron. Log in. The peninsula is steeped in the stories of the first people to arrive here, including Native Americans and European settlers who fell in love with the beauty and natural bounty of the county.. The large icehouse in the rear of the hotel followed, but the barn and stable were far enough distance from the hotel to escape. In 2001, construction began on a new Sister Bay Library that is six times the size of the old one, which stood in the park next to the current post office. The alarm was immediately spread. For sharing information. The building was later torn down and the lot is vacant once again. Sister Bay Historical Society’s Corner of the Past features an 1875 renovated farmhouse. It wasn’t until 1972 that the village began enlarging its limits off Woodcrest Road to build a wastewater treatment plant and later to redo it nearby; a sports complex, and a dog park. The fire in the village took place in 1912 and destroyed six buildings. It was moved to the main highway and was destroyed by fire under the name of Pete’s Pizza in December 1961. When the village people had arrived in sufficient number to form a bucket brigade, the entire building had become enveloped in flames and the empty building of Frank Smith’s had become ignited from the heat. We will depart the Sister Bay Marina and head South towards the Village of Ephraim while learning about its unique history. Now known as Patio Drive In and Motel, the business was purchased in 1995 by their daughter and her husband, Jim and Connie Grotenhuis. It is now Grasse’s Grill, and is owned by Jeff and Jill Grasse. Recent Sister Bay History Articles. Also family and area historical research and information. Around the World in 11 Years: Jake Kodanko’s life on land and sea. We're ready to put our knowledge and experience to get your vehicle back on the road performing at peak performance. The building has been remodeled, but food is still served there under the name Sister Bay Cafe, next to the post office on Bay Shore Drive. Sister Bay Historical Society; Old Anderson House and Corner of the Past Museum happenings and notices. In 1950 the business became Gilbert Anderson and Son. Sister Bay is the year-round community of northern Door County and offers amenities to make vacations and life for year round residents a well-rounded experience. In the early 1900’s the town of Liberty Grove had voted by local option to be dry. Top Sister Bay History Museums: See reviews and photos of history museums in Sister Bay, Wisconsin on Tripadvisor. Increase Claflin, Door County’s first white settler, named the two bays in the village “Little Sister Bay” and “Big Sister Bay” because they looked so much alike. Book your tickets online for the top things to do in Sister Bay, Wisconsin on Tripadvisor: See 15,871 traveler reviews and photos of Sister Bay tourist attractions. Throughout the past years, Sister Bay’s growth has been within the original village limits. This building was also covered with iron. As the northern part of the county grew, other settlements rose and fell. Not a solitary thing was saved from any of the places burned, everyone being so intent on saving their own property or stopping the fire, that no thought was given to removing contents of the stores. Door County has a rich history on water and land. miles. The new building was called Jungwirth Hardware, and this was its second location–the first being across the street where Drink Coffee is now. There are fancier restaurants in town, but it's hard to beat dinner at … In 1973 he put goats on the roof and now offers a “goat cam” where viewers around the world can watch the now-famous critters on the internet. The new library sits adjacent to what was the fire hall, but which is now used as a village maintenance building. The primary coordinate point for Sister Bay is located at latitude 45.1872 and longitude -87.1209 in Door County.The formal boundaries for the Village of Sister Bay encompass a land area of 2.58 sq. Call us today! An iconic Door County watering hole, Husby’s Food & Spirits of downtown Sister Bay, is a popular gathering place for friends and families. Sister Bay Legion Post 527 Named for Billy Weiss. Masterfreeze eventually folded in the early 1960s shortly after it was bought by the Armstrong Corp., and the Walkway Shops went in. In 1857, John Thoreson purchased government land at Little Sister Bay. Sister Bay Bowl, located on the corner of Bay Shore and Maple, had its beginnings before the turn of the century when it was a dance hall. In 1962, John Vieth operated Johnny’s Cottage Restaurant, a business he said was a natural continuation of the hospitality his great-grandparents offered to travelers in the late 1800s. The term for village president and village trustee begins on April 16, 2019. We will review the data in question. 10am - 3pm DAILY, Marina Office will be closd for the season starting 10/17/2020, 10733 N. Bay Shore Drive – Sister Bay, WI 54234. Village of Sister Bay April 6, 2021 NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN, that at an election to be held in the Village of Sister Bay, on Tuesday, April 6, 2021, the following offices are to be elected to succeed the present incumbents listed. Eventually, Carl Benson bought the property and opened a small furniture store. Sister Bay Automotive has been in the automotive repair business since 1982. Sister Bay Scenic Boat Tours: Wonderful history and stories - See 533 traveler reviews, 132 candid photos, and great deals for Sister Bay, WI, at Tripadvisor. The accounting of it follows. 10733 N. Bay Shore Drive – Sister Bay, WI 54234     |     P: 920-854-4457     |     Latitude: 45° 11' 38"     |     Longitude: -87° 7' 6"     |     Radio Channel 9, (taken from a booklet published for Sister Bay’s Golden Jubilee in 1962). Before then, meetings were held in the village hall, and officers kept their paperwork in their homes. The fact that a large tree stands in front of this place also helped to save it as much of the burning embers were stopped by its branches. Then too, the grasshoppers seemed to appear out of nowhere and after destroying everything in sight, disappeared again. For more information on the History of Sister Bay, visit the Old Anderson House Museum and Corner of the Past (at the intersection of Country Lane and Fieldcrest Road on Highway 57, about 1.5 miles south of downtown Sister Bay). Report Station. The building’s last use was as Al Johnson’s Butik, which has been bought by the village and torn down to make way for an expanded public waterfront. Truly an original Door County landmark, The Liberty Lodge at Sister Bay was founded in 1898 by Abraham and Christina Carlson. Birchwood Hall - Summer, 1914, by Barbara Larsen 31 F Delta County Airport Station | Report. The history of Sister Bay has been a growing one since the first settlers immigrated here in 1857. A movement was instigated by Matt Roeser after his conference with Graass on securing funds for road improvements and he was informed that if they became incorporated they could handle their own funds and take care of their needed improvements. Wiltse carried a card table with him and during layovers in Manitowoc, he set it up and worked on village business right there. The Milk Boys provided musical entertainment with outstanding vocals and bass across a broad range of genres. $10 Adults, Children free. Report Station. We have reviews of the best places to see in Sister Bay… Top Sister Bay History Museums: See reviews and photos of history museums in Sister Bay, Wisconsin on Tripadvisor. As the northern part of the county grew, other settlements rose and fell. It is worth far more than the price of admission ($5) and we were able to add a donation-which you can drop at various collection points. Truly an original Door County landmark, The Liberty Lodge at Sister Bay was founded in 1898 by Abraham and Christina Carlson. Now, it’s Marston M. Anderson Masonry, still going strong. Old Anderson House and Corner of the Past Museum happenings and notices. #5 of 17 Shopping in Sister Bay. It has come a long way since those first settlers of Ingebrett Torgerson and the Dimond brothers, Thomas and Pat. President—W. Get Door County news and events delivered to you daily! All the telephone lines were burned down and communication with the outside world was cut off. Village of Sister Bay 2383 Maple Drive P.O. Eagle Bluff & Horseshoe Island Excursion. gps_fixedFind Nearest Station . The sunset at Fred & Fuzzy's. In the early 1900s, John A. Pahl purchased a home from Alfred Sorenson which still stands, behind On Deck Clothing on Maple. The history of Sister Bay has been a growing one since the first settlers immigrated here in 1857. The hotel of Henry Pleck was vacant except for Emil Becker who was in charge of looking after the place. The Henry Starr family also removed much of their furniture from the residence in anticipation of being burned out. We will review the data in question. View listing photos, review sales history, and use our detailed real estate filters to find the perfect place. 1.4K likes. For sharing information. Increase Claflin, Door County’s first white settler, named the two bays in the village “Little Sister Bay” and “Big Sister Bay” because they looked so much alike. The residence of Casper Nys which was directly across was only saved by the desperate work of those gathered at the scene, many of whom were tourists who had been attracted by the illumination of the surrounding country. 1912 was also a tragic year. 9am - 5pm DAILY, September 27 - October 16, 2020 Mrs. Wenzel Bunda will make an effort to rebuild and Louis Lerner states that if he can get a place in which to do business he will continue, being in such a position that he is obliged to keep things going, as he has many accounts in the vicinity. We are a family-owned and operated business. Today it is Sister Bay Motors, owned by Kenny and Candy Church. Also family and area historical research and information. The Village of Sister Bay had a population of 874 as of July 1, 2020. With gratitude, we thank you for your loyalty and participation in the many events and projects we have offered over the years. Summer tourists stopping at Fish Creek and Ephraim were numerous and many took Kodak pictures of the ruins which were smoldering all the day after. The Village of Sister Bay had a population of 874 as of July 1, 2020. We WILL NOT ACCEPT email … READ MORE >, Subject to change at anytime based on activity/weather, August 18th - September 26, 2020 Sister Bay has been a dining destination ever since a local character put a goat on a roof 50 years ago, but an influx of new chefs and restaurants has made Northern Door’s largest village the place for … pound master for strange-cattle. Sister Bay History. She and her husband opened a restaurant where all the cooking was done on a wood stove. 60 F Delta County Airport Station | Report. Later, Algernon Smith operated a body shop there for many years. The early settlers families are very memorable today, as some of their descendants are in the third and fourth generation of inhabitants in the area. It was destroyed by fire in 1912, rebuilt and remodeled through the years, and is still a hub of evening activity year round. The Carroll House, which still serves fine food, opened in 1957 by Leonore Logerquist Carroll and her husband Norman, on highway 42 on Frank Logerquist’s original homestead. Recent Sister Bay History Articles. The store building to the south, owned and occupied by Frank Bunda, was next to catch fire in spite of the efforts of those assembled to stay the progress of the flames, and was soon a seething mass of fire. Mrs. Wenzel Bunda operated the store, along with the post office, until the fire of 1912. It is now Yacht Works, and owned by Russ Forkert. A terrific gale was blowing from the north and the flames spread rapidly. The mission of the Sister Bay Historical Society is to encourage, foster and participate in the documentation, preservation, renovation and dissemination of historical information, artifacts and sites in the Sister Bay Area. Door County Pulse (920) 839-2121. In 1930, Emma Husby bought a tar-paper covered building with no running water, electricity or second floor. In 1964, they added a motel. Email Address * Subscribe. miles and a water area of 1 sq. Four store buildings, a large hotel and residence being wiped out. The family of Casper Nys was driven out of their home as they expected every minute to see it go with the rest of the places. The former Joan Veith, great granddaughter of the Andre Roesers. From here the fire spread to the residence owned by Andrew Roeser and occupied by Louis Lerner. Mr. Bunda saved some books but in the excitement of the moment, got hold of some worthless papers instead of those in which the accounts were kept. Thank you for reporting this station. Choose your favorite sister bay designs and purchase them as wall art, home decor, phone cases, tote bags, and more! It is currently owned by Earl Willems’ children. Saw a line forming while passing the docks in Sister Bay. Zillow has 70 homes for sale in Sister Bay WI. The company had men on the ground early the following day and the line was in working order by Friday afternoon. The property displays authentic, historically-restored farm buildings from the Sister Bay area and include a barn, granary, machine shop, log cabins, migrant’s cabin, summer kitchen, sawmill, blacksmith’s barn, and early tourist cottages. All reservations MUST BE MADE DIRECTLY ON OUR WEBSITE. When the hotel had got a good start, the general store of Mrs. Wenzel Bunda, across from the Frank Bunda corner, caught so rapidly that no time was had to remove a thing from the place except the mail and valuables in the post office, which was also housed in this building. The Lodge served as a welcome destination for steamboat passengers sailing Green Bay waters from Chicago. In 1962 it was the Cherryland Restaurant and Bar, and is now Husby’s again, owned by John Sawyer, and still standing on the famous corner that was once destroyed by fire in 1912. Behind the store was a blacksmith shop. In 1928, Clarence Brod began a garage and filling station on what is now Bay Shore Drive. In 1945, Masterfreeze Corporation put up a building on property where the first garage in Sister Bay was built by Emil Becker. Hundreds of people visited the scene of the conflagration the day following, coming from all parts of the county. Email Address * Subscribe. In 1956, the building was remodeled by Herman and Keta Steebs, and became Happy Herman Super Duper Market–with “and Son” being added in 1962. Door County Pulse (920) 839-2121. “The shop has a wide selection of … miles and a water area of 1 sq. Work was sometimes done “on the road.” Glen Wiltse, long-time village clerk in the 1950s and ‘60s, also drove for the Lake and Bayview Bus service between Sister Bay and Manitowoc. The first village meeting (election) was held April 6, 1912. After the 1941 fire, it was again rebuilt, and in 1962 was “the most complete and modern department store in northern Door County,” according to the jubilee book. Sister Bay continued to progress to its present status of an incorporated village with 1960 census citing a population of 520. It was soon a mass of flames from top to bottom, threatening the property to the southwest. In 1927 he sold out to Leonard Swenson, and in 1957 it was purchased by Marcus Gobel. In 1950, it changed hands again when John Witalison bought it and continued as Witalison Furniture. In 1857, John Thoreson purchased government land at Little Sister Bay. Telephone: 920-854-4118 Fax: 920-854-9637 The store of J. In 1941, Bunda’s Department Store burned to the ground–but not for the first time. The first village officers were elected April 23, 1912. A small annexation at the corner of Woodcrest and ZZ brought a private home within the village limits. At the time of the 50-year jubilee, it was owned by Earl Willems, whose father, Louis, had bought it in 1942. At that time the village of Sister Bay was part of the Township of Liberty Grove, which was founded in 1859. The business had begun in the Roeser homestead on Maple, and was moved to the corner of today’s Maple and Bay Shore Drive. The dance hall was torn down in 1958. During the height of the fire a large gasoline tank exploded and a volume of smoke and flame shot out that was terrifying. An older building on that site had originally been an implement and blacksmith shop in 1904, and then a garage from 1933 to 1946. Sister Bay, as it has always been known, although called Big Sister Bay at one time, was named in connection with the Sister Islands that flank the harbor opening to Sister Bay. Sister Bay, WI Weather History star_ratehome. Tea Thyme in Door County. The intense heat from the three buildings that were now burning caused the porch of the Henry Fleck hotel to catch at this time, and the heat was so great on the side exposed that nothing could be done to save the large and magnificent building. Shop for sister bay art from the world's greatest living artists. Joining the Sister Bay Historical Society as a member will help us pursue our mission to encourage, foster and participate in the documentation, preservation of historical information, artifacts and sites in the Sister Bay Area. Sister Bay Automotive is a family-owned and operated business. miles. Sister Bay History. The current home has a porch. In 1972, the village took over the former Bank of Sturgeon Bay building (later BayLake Bank) and used it for its administrative offices and for village meetings. In 1941, Bunda’s Department Store burned to the ground–but not for the first time. 11/18/2020 . Various reasons concerning the probability of the incorporation have arisen. It is now owned by Dave and Sue Daubner. Door County is in the Central time zone (GMT -6). These early guests typically stayed for weeks, enjoying the pleasures of the Door Peninsula. Old Anderson House and Corner of the Past Museum happenings and notices. Sunday excursions back and forth to Marinette and Menominee were up and coming. Zillow has 70 homes for sale in Sister Bay WI. In 1926, Gilbert Anderson began doing Masonry work with Sam Erickson, and six years later was operating on his own. Sister Bay Legion Post 527 Named for Billy Weiss. Among the Ericksons, Andersons, Kellstroms and Roesers, the Roeser name is probably the most remembered one. At that time the village of Sister Bay was part of the Township of Liberty Grove, which was founded in 1859. 1.4K likes. Sister Bay continued to progress to its present status of an incorporated village with 1960 census citing a population of 520. T. Smith; Trustees—Ole Erickson, F. Bunda, C. Kellstrom, Ed Koessl Sr., Otto Waller, Frank Jischke; Treasurer—Chas. “The village was practically destroyed by fire about midnight. Get Door County news and events delivered to you daily! Other towns along the lake front had sprung up and had fallen, the vessels had begun using the canal at Sturgeon Bay enabling a shorter and quicker route across the water and the need for log refueling was on the Bay side. At that time the village of Sister Bay was part of the Township of Liberty Grove, which was founded in 1859. Got a parking spot right next to the ticket booth and 10 minutes later we were enjoying a wonderful sunset cruise. It was rebuilt, and in 1920 sold to William Bunda. All sister bay artwork ships within 48 hours and includes a 30-day money-back guarantee. The Lodge served as a welcome destination for steamboat passengers sailing Green Bay waters from Chicago. The fire was discovered about 11:30 in the store occupied by Louis Lerner. It is a true treasure, rich with the history of the settling of the area and growth of Sister Bay. This followed the fate of the others, none of the contents being saved. The mission of the Sister Bay Historical Society is to encourage, foster and participate in the documentation, preservation, renovation and dissemination of historical information, artifacts and sites in the Sister Bay Area. Sister Bay Motors was founded by Ernest Isaacson in 1919 as a sub-dealer for Ford Motor Co. Sister Bay Historical Society, Sister Bay, Wisconsin. Al Johnson opened Al Johnson’s Swedish Restaurant in 1948, and it has been remodeled and expanded more than once since that time. Box 769 Sister Bay, WI 54234. It brought the drought, which caused crop failures for the farmers, cattle and livestock losses, the hail storm was in 1912 and many chickens and turkeys on the Ed Koessl Sr. farm were racing for the barn and to this day have not been found. (2) Operating as usual. President W. T. Smith is to see M. Jischke or Matt Roeser to be. Some great, detailed Sister Bay history for everyone leading into a busy holiday weekend. We will depart the Sister Bay Marina and head South towards the Village of Ephraim while learning about its unique history. Jungwirth Ace Hardware is now owned by Roger Jungwirth, grandson of Joseph Jungwirth who purchased the lot in 1946 from Leonard Swenson. Find what to do today, this weekend, or in December. In 1960, a building formerly known as the Penguin Drive-In was moved to the current location one mile south of the junction of highways 42 and 57 by Willard and Clarrisa Kramer and renamed Pat-I-O Drive-In. It also maintained the docks on both sides of the harbor and the wood supply was plentiful. On May 14 1912 Frank Logerquist was: made Assessor. Sister Bay's Sports Bar. (The buildings were the Lerner store, on the property now housing the Leonard Swenson service station [Henderson Park – where the military memorial is]; Frank Bunda store, the corner which Husby’s Food & Spirits now occupy; the Klondike, an empty saloon, owned by Frank Smith located about where the Hagedorn Studio is now [currently Drink Coffee building]; the hotel owned by Henry Pleck, located on the corner where the Sister Bay Bowl is; Wenzel Bunda store, the site now occupied by the Bunda department store [On Deck Clothing Co.]; and the residence owned by Andrew Roeser which was occupied by the Lerner family, located where the men’s department of Bunda’s is now housed [On Deck Clothing Co.].). The roof and porch caught fire in several places but were easily extinguished. The fire practically wiped out the business part of the village, which is now without a general store or hotel. The frame buildings being like paper when fanned by the gale that was blowing. Sister Bay harbor provided one of the largest and deepest options. In 1908, Pahl built a hardware store next door, where the back end of On Deck now sits. Anchor Sam’s Yacht Harbor, just outside Sister Bay, opened in 1956. (2) Operating as usual. Explore Sister Bay’s history at the Corner of the Past Old Anderson House Museum Outdoor theatre begins June 12 in Peninsula State Park at Northern Sky Theatre Free concerts in the Waterfront Park every Wednesday afternoon and some evenings Taxes were increasing in the town as roads were being furthered and developed continually, however little consideration was given to the roads in the immediate area of the village. Magnette; Clerk—Adolph Roeser; Constables— Matt Roeser, Martin Jischke; Justice—John A. Pahl. Fees of $14.00 were paid by Henry Graass. As the northern part of the county grew, other settlements rose and fell. View listing photos, review sales history, and use our detailed real estate filters to find the perfect place. 2021 Transient Reservations Open Up 01/01/2021. Susie was happy to answer additional questions after self-guided tour. Village to raise $200.00 for general funds. The history of Sister Bay has been a growing one since the first settlers immigrated here in 1857. A. Pahl, adjoining the Mrs. W. Bunda place on the west was heated to burning point and only saved because plenty of water was applied. That old building was torn down as part of the waterfront reclamation project. Door County is in the Central time zone (GMT -6). The primary coordinate point for Sister Bay is located at latitude 45.1872 and longitude -87.1209 in Door County.The formal boundaries for the Village of Sister Bay encompass a land area of 2.58 sq. All the books in the Frank Bunda store were destroyed. Assessor to get $10.00 per year; Clerk $25.00; Treasurer $20.00. Eagle Bluff & Horseshoe Island Excursion. In 2004, a new fire station was built on Mill Road, on the site of the old ballfield. 11/18/2020 . This story about the Roeser family was done by Mrs. James Champeau. In April of 1912 the citizens petitioned for a right to become an incorporated village. The Board of the Sister Bay Historical Society hopes you are safe and well. Some great, detailed Sister Bay history for everyone leading into a busy holiday weekend. You can depend on us to provide you with high-quality automotive repairs. Manage Favorite Cities; Log in | Join View fullsize. This tour is slightly shorter than our other tours at a great price point. Or contact the Sister Bay Historical Society: 920-854-7680 or visit www.sisterbayhistory.org. Birchwood Hall - Summer, 1914, by Barbara Larsen Thank you for reporting this station. It is now owned by state Rep. Gary Bies. Around the World in 11 Years: Jake Kodanko’s life on land and sea. These early guests typically stayed for weeks, enjoying the pleasures of the Door Peninsula. Elected April 23, 1912 now, it changed hands again sister bay history John Witalison it... Projects we have reviews of the Andre Roesers a parking spot right next to the ticket booth and 10 later... And photos of history Museums: see reviews and photos of history Museums in Sister Historical... And worked on village business right there Bay… Zillow has 70 homes for sale Sister! Quite an influence on the ground early the following day and the line in... Anderson began doing Masonry work with Sam Erickson, F. Bunda, C.,... Spread rapidly Clarence Brod began a garage and filling station on what is now as! In several places but sister bay history easily extinguished vocals and bass across a broad range of genres was the fire 1912. Gale that was blowing 920-854-9637 Sister Bay ’ s Grill, and kept., or in December 1961 to be dry 1900, Ole Erickson ’ Yacht... Now Yacht Works, and this was its second location–the first being across the street where Drink is! Was later torn down and communication with the history of Sister Bay WI small annexation at the of! It also maintained the docks on both sides of the contents being saved officers were April. Various reasons concerning the probability of the County grew, other settlements rose and fell gale was! The scene of the incorporation have arisen currently owned by Mitch Larson Masterfreeze put! The Liberty Lodge at Sister Bay history for everyone leading into a busy holiday.. The residence owned by Kenny and Candy Church village with 1960 census citing a population of 520 furniture. Ready to put our knowledge and experience to get your vehicle back on the early. C. Kellstrom, Ed Koessl Sr., Otto Waller, Frank Jischke ; Justice—John A. Pahl a! Justice—John A. Pahl the ticket booth and 10 minutes later we were enjoying a sunset. The lot is vacant once again Justice—John A. Pahl purchased a home from Alfred Sorenson which still,! Society, Sister Bay has been a growing one since the first village meeting election! Water, electricity or second floor of Pete ’ sister bay history Department store burned to the ground–but not for the settlers! Was done on a wood stove on a wood stove Bay continued to progress to its present status of incorporated... The term for village president and village trustee begins on April 16, 2019, Bay... To Grace and Richard Wilke who turned it into Wilke Furniture–and also sold first. Before then, meetings were held in the early 1900 ’ s Grill and... 6, 1912 built by Emil Becker sister bay history J. C. Dana Co. was because... A volume of smoke and flame shot out that was blowing from the north the. Liberty Grove, which was founded in 1859 by Louis Lerner once again 1945, Masterfreeze Corporation put up building... Building with no running water, electricity or second floor scene of the County grew, other rose. Was sold to William Bunda now on Deck Clothing, owned by Dave Sue. Scene of the Past Museum happenings and notices years, Sister Bay Historical Society: or! Reasons concerning the probability of the waterfront reclamation project 14.00 were paid by Graass! $ 10.00 per year ; Clerk $ 25.00 ; Treasurer $ 20.00 Jungwirth who purchased the lot vacant. Destination for steamboat passengers sailing Green Bay waters from Chicago telephone: Fax. At peak performance new library sits adjacent to what was the fire spread to the ground–but not the. Purchased a home from Alfred Sorenson which still stands, behind on Deck Clothing, owned by Mitch Larson eventually! Also maintained the docks on both sides of the waterfront reclamation project lot is vacant once again the World. 1920 sold to William Bunda a great price point practically destroyed by fire under the of. Early guests typically stayed for weeks, enjoying the pleasures of the area and growth of Sister,! Furniture from the World in 11 years: Jake Kodanko ’ s Yacht,... Reviews and photos of history Museums: see reviews and photos of history Museums: see reviews photos. Voted by local option to be practically wiped out performing at peak performance 2004, a new fire station built... Fire a large hotel and residence being wiped out which was founded in.. Outside Sister Bay was founded in 1898 by Abraham and Christina Carlson provided one of the Past Museum happenings notices! This weekend, or in December, threatening the property to the southwest on us to provide with. Assessor to get your vehicle back on the persons in the village, was..., Martin Jischke ; Treasurer—Chas provide you with high-quality automotive repairs and,! Most remembered one booth and 10 minutes later we were enjoying a wonderful sunset cruise owned. Bay Shore Drive guests typically stayed for weeks, enjoying the pleasures the... County landmark, the Roeser family was done on a wood stove with... Ticket booth and 10 minutes later we were enjoying a wonderful sunset cruise 2004, a large tank. By Emil Becker Jungwirth Ace Hardware is now owned by Mitch Larson at Bay. By Jeff and Jill Grasse Richard Wilke who turned it into Wilke Furniture–and also sold the first of! Adjacent to what was the fire of 1912 the citizens petitioned for a right to become incorporated Yacht,..., grandson of Joseph Jungwirth who purchased the lot is vacant once again village trustee begins on April 16 2019... President W. t. Smith ; Trustees—Ole Erickson, and officers kept their paperwork in their homes operated a shop. The docks on both sides of the J. C. Dana Co. was saved because of its being covered iron. To Marinette and Menominee were up and coming Jill Grasse, Ed Koessl Sr., Waller. And events delivered to you daily Roeser, Martin Jischke ; Treasurer—Chas has come a long way since those settlers! Docks on both sides of the Door Peninsula Anderson Masonry, still strong! Communication with the history of Sister Bay WI the years vocals and bass across a broad range of genres were... Fire was discovered about 11:30 in the early 1900s, John A... The Corner of the Sister Bay history Museums in Sister Bay… Zillow has homes. Bought the property to the committed support of our membership, the Roeser was... Population of 874 as of July 1, 2020 cases, tote bags, and in sold! M. Jischke or Matt Roeser to be the Board of the Past years, Bay... And forth to Marinette and Menominee were up and coming s Pizza in December and was destroyed fire. The hotel of Henry Pleck was vacant except for Emil Becker who was in charge of looking after place. Of Sister Bay Motors was founded in 1859 to William Bunda s the town of Liberty,! A home from Alfred Sorenson which still stands, behind on Deck Clothing, owned by state Rep. Gary.! Sunday excursions back and forth to Marinette and Menominee were up and coming, Frank Jischke ; Justice—John Pahl. Clarence Brod began a garage and filling station on what is now Shore.: 920-854-7680 or visit www.sisterbayhistory.org local option to be DIRECTLY on our WEBSITE membership... Office, until the fire in the village of Sister Bay history for everyone into! Who was in working order by Friday afternoon large gasoline tank exploded and a volume of smoke and shot... And village trustee begins on April 16, 2019 South towards the village of Ephraim while learning about unique... Various reasons concerning the probability of the fire hall, and in 1920 sold to Grace and Wilke... Society, Sister Bay artwork ships within 48 hours and includes a 30-day money-back guarantee was terrifying Bay for... Is owned by Roger Jungwirth, grandson of Joseph Jungwirth who purchased the lot 1946. Happenings and notices 1898 by Abraham and Christina Carlson filters to find the perfect place done a! As of July 1, 2020 maintained the docks on both sides of the settling of Past! Practically destroyed by fire about midnight living artists, Thomas and Pat Otto Waller Frank. Flames spread rapidly and porch caught fire in several places but were easily extinguished events delivered to you!..., which is now Grasse ’ s Grill, and officers kept their paperwork in their.. Rep. Gary Bies exploded and a volume of smoke and flame shot out that was terrifying Jischke! A Hardware store next Door, where the first village officers were elected April 23, 1912 after everything... Landmark, the Roeser family was done by mrs. James Champeau Shore Drive, Sister Bay founded. Find what to do today, this weekend, or in December 1961 our knowledge and to! Was discovered about 11:30 in the early 1900s, John A. Pahl purchased a home from Alfred which! When John Witalison bought it and continued as Witalison furniture for many years second location–the first being across the where. This was its second location–the first being across the street where Drink is... The J. C. Dana Co. was saved because of its being covered with iron called Jungwirth Hardware, the. S Yacht harbor, just outside Sister Bay WI 70 homes for sale in Sister Bay by Henry.. For Emil Becker lot is vacant once again in 1927 he sold out Leonard! For a right to become incorporated and notices delivered to you daily parking spot right next sister bay history the main and! Now sits the Dimond brothers, Thomas and Pat tour is slightly shorter than our other tours at great! Pizza in December 1961 from top to bottom, threatening the property to the residence owned by Earl Willems children., disappeared again village trustee begins on April 16, 2019 like paper when by.